In this pragmatic guide, editor Susan Carr leads photo industry experts in revealing how to succeed in an evolving business climate.
As a result of changes in technology and the economy, every successful photography career today is unique, and each image-maker needs to build a career that matches his or her talents to one or more markets. This indispensable manual sets the stage for understanding where the industry is now and where it is headed while offering step-by-step instructions for building a career tailored to one's own talents, interests, and business style in today’s market.
The book's editor, Susan Carr, has been in the photography business for over twenty years. A past president of ASMP, she organized and managed the highly successful ASMP Strictly Business conferences and currently serves as education director at ASMP. She edited the seventh edition of ASMP Professional Business Practices in Photography and authored The Art and Business of Photography.
Chapters and Authors
1. Where Are The Clients? by Susan Carr
2. Visual Communications in the New Economy by Tom Kennedy
3. The Role of Technology by Peter Krogh
4. The Ongoing Tug of War Between Copyright Law and Technology by Richard Dale Kelly
5. Where Are the Solutions That Create Compensation? by Richard Dale Kelly
6. Your First Step by Judy Herrmann
7. Your Roadmap by Judy Herrmann
8. Branding Your Business by Colleen Wainwright
9. Marketing Today by Colleen Wainwright
10. Selling in the New Economy by Blake Discher
11. Changing Your Course by Judy Herrmann
12. New Products and Services by Barry Schwartz
13. Marketing and Sales Focus by Barry Schwartz
14. New Business/Photographer Identity by Barry Schwartz
Purchase this book from Amazon.
This classic guide is the ultimate source on key business practices and industry standards from the foremost authority in professional photography.
From standard practices in stock and assignment photography to special one-time decisions such as acquiring a digital workstation, this “business bible” provides the latest answers to any legal or business question an aspiring or professional photographer can ask.
With in-depth chapters, over two dozen industry experts offer practical guidance on such topics as estimating prices, formalizing agreements, using electronic technology, and much more. This completely updated Seventh Edition also features dozens of ready-to-copy legal and business forms, helpful checklists, and an extensive cross-media bibliography.
Managing your digital photos can be one of the most unavoidable headaches. With so many existing workflow practices based on specific software rather than a universal view of the entire image file processing ecology, you need something that can make the process less overwhelming. Patricia Russotti and Richard Anderson provide you with the best workflow practices, from planning and capturing to archiving your digital photography, and everything in between. This easy-to-follow design paired with detailed charts and beautiful photos will give you the tools you need to perfect your workflow. This handbook is software version-independent and focuses more on the key fundamentals that are a constant from software to software.